Finding A Work / Life Balance
Life is increasingly busy. Sometimes it’s great to take the opportunity to take a few deep breaths and have a really good think about finding that balance which, in my opinion, is the key to a happy life.
Thinking back more than 20 years when we started in practice at BLG, there were no emails, mobile phones, facebook, snapchat, nor internet. Pokemon was a kid’s TV program! Today’s business world has changed incredibly in that 20 year time period. The demand for instant information is high – the internet has provided us with a completely different framework in which to live.
Most business owners (including the BLG Directors) now work almost completely out of their in-boxes and electronic calendars. It’s a fact of life.
So how is it possible to achieve a healthy balance when we are increasingly contactable 24 hours a day?
These are a few of the strategies which I’ve found helpful in an effort to achieve a better balance in a hectic world:
- Rising early in the morning and committing to a structured, and rigorous exercise program
- Committing to a program of activities with the family (I like to coach football, which allows me some real quality time with the kids, as well as freshening up my mind by focusing solely on non-work matters)
- Finding a social network of people with a similar outlook who invariably help to keep you on the right path
- Simply being at home regularly in an effort to provide the stability and support required for all the highs and lows of a busy family life
- Committing to your next holiday whilst your in the middle of your current break
I’ve found that these simple strategies really help to keep my energy levels high at home and work, and contribute greatly to a more healthy work / life balance.
How about you?